Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A VIP cricketer and a (by default VIP) politician

Last month we traveled to our native. We took a flight to Delhi from Pune and then went to Patna and took a cab to reach Muzaffarpur. I was happy to see good quality road between Patna to Muzaffarpur. At Pune airport, while standing in security check queue, I observed the CISF officer (security in charge) invited someone who was standing behind me to get his security check done first and that gentleman politely refused and told him that he will come in queue. I was surprised. I was sure that person standing behind me is VIP and thought to find out who this gentleman is. I turned back and I saw he was Sunil Gavaskar. I talked with him a little while we were in queue. I felt happy that he didn’t exploit his VIP status.

While coming back, at Delhi airport, the GoIndiGo flight was late and my 3 year old daughter had lost her patience and started creating problems for me and my wife. We were waiting and then a long queue got formed to board the flight where a final security check was getting done. The queue was moving too slow and my daughter's was almost uncontrollable. All the passengers were getting frustrated and somehow they were waiting for their turn. All of the sudden we observed one airline official with one CISF personnel came with *someone* and bypassed the queue to board the flight. The gentleman was again a VIP. He was a MP from Maharashtra. I started feeling so bad and angry for the entire system. The passengers with small kids and family are suffering but Mr. VIP doesn’t have any problem in taking privilege of his status although he also knew that he has to fly in same plane so boarding first doesn’t make any difference.

I do know that all cricketers might not be like Mr. Gavaskar and also all politicians might not be like Mr. VIP but at least that day I felt like politicians are the most morally uncultured class in this country.