Thursday, March 22, 2007

Positive Imaging

Recently my wife has developed some interest in reading and started reading a book "Positive Imaging" by Norman Pincent Peale. The author is a western writer. I just asked my wife what is Imaging and whatever she explained me that looked pretty similar to the our old Indian theory about "Buri Najar Lagna", "aah lagna" (in negative sense) and similar old existing sayings in positive sense too like "aapaki dua". Basically its about seriously wishing some one with good wishes or with bad wishes. The author claims that if you start imaging something to happen and if you do that very seriously then that will happen. For example if you start imaging that you will successfully complete some work on time and will get promoted in near future and will do that imaging very seriously then that will happen. Talking about negative imaging, I do remember when I was a kid I have heard my mother, grand mother talking sometime that "koi aankh na laga de". Here the term "aankh laga dena" indicates that someone is jealous with something of yours and so he/she will start imaging some thing negative about you and that will happen. Most common observations were with the babies. They look cute and mothers think that there should not be any evil eye on her baby. One good point is that our culture has a self claimed solution also for this negative imaging and that is putting black kajal on head of the baby :) .

I always thought these concepts useless in this modern scientific days but seems I need to think about these things a bit seriously. These kind of theories are difficult tobe proved or denied scientifically. I can write lot more about this.... mainly in our culture but this blog will get stretched to appear a boring blog :)